This month DEX Media surveyed small businesses, asking them 7 basic questions about their advertising/marketing strategy right now and for the next 12 months. These are all local businesses across the U.S., and we found the results interesting, so we wanted to share the details.
What strikes me is how different these results are from what we see here in the local markets we serve. For example, we haven’t seen print ad spends like this in many years.
What’s even stranger is that even though the small businesses surveyed say they get almost no results from print advertising, they have kept doing it. That’s the definition of insanity! For what it’s worth, it seems like they’re ready to jump off the print advertising treadmill and re-invest those funds into digital marketing.
Are you a small business operator? If you are, how do these results compare with what you’re experiencing?
1. Thinking about all the companies you buy advertising from, which of the following media types do you currently purchase?
2. Approximately how much do you spend annually on all media types?
3. Approximately what percentage of your advertising budget do you spend on each type of media?
4. How well do these media types meet your expectations?
5. Which single advertising method works best?
6. How will your spending change on these media types over the next 12 months?
7. How likely are you to purchase any of the following media types in the next 12 months?